Making a Difference and Making Proud Choices Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to two research proven cirricula-- Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! -- and will provide the skills necessary to implement each of the curriculum with youth. Both curricula are integrated (teen pregnancy and HIV) prevention programs consisting of eight one-hour modules for middle school youth. Both curricula emphasize abstinence as the safest and best choice for adolescents. Making a Difference! emphasizes that young adolescents should postpone sexual activity and provides intensive educational strategies to help them do so. Making Proud Choices! covers abstinence in detail, but also emphasizes the importance of using condoms to reduce the risk of pregnancy and STD among sexually active participants. Throughout this two-day training, participants will learn how to become facilitators of both curricula.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, components, and unique features of the Making a Difference! (MAD) and Making Proud Choices! (MPC) Curricula.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of MAD and MPC and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in MAD and MPC.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify their own values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! Curricula and describe strategies for overcoming these barriers.
Event Target Audience
Youth-serving providers and teachers selected to teach either Making a Difference! or Making Proud Choices!
Rachel Kaplan, MPH and Susan Locke, BA
Location & Address
Fact Forward Training Room: 1331 Elmwood Avenue, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29201
$600.00 (discounts are available for in-state registrants and funded partners of Fact Forward. Contact your grant manager, project coordinator or capacity building specialist for the appropriate discount code)
November 6, 2019
Late registration must be approved by the training team (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
Participants must bring a copy of the Making a Difference and the Making Proud Choices Curriculum (5th edition) to the training as these are not provided. The curriculum can be purchased by visiting the publisher’s website at https://www.etr.org/store/curricula/making-a-difference/ and https://www.etr.org/store/curricula/making-proud-choices/
Questions? You can call us at (803)-771-7700 or message us here. Don't forget to check out our FAQs, too.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made by 3 full business days will be fully refunded. No shows will forfeit all registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.