This training will introduce participants to a research proven curriculum— Making Proud Choices! — and will provide the skills necessary to implement the curriculum with youth. The curriculum is an integrated (teen pregnancy and HIV) prevention program consisting of eight one-hour modules for middle school youth. Making Proud Choices! covers abstinence in detail, but also emphasizes the importance of using condoms to reduce the risk of pregnancy and STD among sexually active participants. Throughout this two-day virtual training, participants will learn how to become a facilitator of the curriculum.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, components, and unique features of the Making Proud Choices! (MPC) Curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of MPC and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in MPC.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify their own values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making Proud Choices! Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming these barriers
Event Target Audience:
- Youth-serving providers
- Teachers selected to teach Making Proud Choices!
Susan Locke & Denise Marcano
Susan joined Fact Forward in August 2018 as the Training Associate and transitioned into the role of Partner Engagement Associate in October 2019 and then Program Support Specialist in July 2021. In this role, she is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all Fact Forward educational programming, technical assistance efforts, and internal staff development opportunities. Locke earned a Bachelor of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies from the University of South Carolina. She was born and raised in NC but now calls Columbia, SC home. Prior to joining Fact Forward full-time, Locke worked as an intern in early 2018. She is excited to continue her passion for reproductive justice through her work with Fact Forward.
Denise joined Fact Forward in March 2016 and is now the Community Investment Coordinator for a variety of agency-funded projects. Denise is a seasoned public health professional with over 20 years of experience working in local public health departments, schools, and state-level non-profit organizations. She is an expert in STD prevention, adolescent reproductive health, project management, technical assistance, and HIV/AIDS education/testing/counseling. Denise is a lead trainer for a variety of Fact Forward professional development products offered both locally and nationally. She currently represents Fact Forward on a number of national and statewide networks and committees. Denise is particularly interested in working with historically marginalized populations in the areas of adolescent health, reproductive justice, and HIV/AIDS.
Location & Address:
October 25th, 2023
Late registration must be approved by the training department (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
If you are interested in additional information about this training and the possibility of having one in your area please contact our Training Department at email@example.com or 803-771-7700.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 72 hours before the date of the training. No-shows forfeit registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.