Let's Talk Month
Every October, Fact Forward participates in Let’s Talk Month, a public awareness campaign founded by Advocates for Youth that encourages open communication between young people and their parents or other trusted adults.
Believe it or not, teens want to hear from their parents regarding love, sex, and relationships. Starting age-appropriate conversations early and continuing into early adulthood will help young people make smarter decisions regarding their sexual health.
Want to find a Let's Talk Month event that interests you? View all upcoming events by following the button below!
Funding is CLOSED!
Community Sponsorships support innovative events to engage your community by empowering parents and other trusted adults to help young people to make healthy decisions. This is accomplished through providing resources to parents, and/or educating community leaders about the importance of quality evidence-based approaches to teen pregnancy prevention. We are no longer accepting applications for Let's Talk Month 2021 events.
For any questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to talk?
Host a Let's Talk Party
Host a Let’s Talk Party by gathering of 8-10 friends who are “trusted adults” in the life of a young person—parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings, cousins, coaches, teachers, and youth leaders. Host a meal at your home, have dinner out, have a coffee hour at a local coffee-shop, etc., and make taking with young people about love, sex and relationships the focus.
#LetsTalk Social Media Toolkit
Let’s Talk Month is a public awareness campaign that encourages open communication between young people and their parents or other trusted adults. Use our toolkit to get your community talking. Spread the Let's Talk message via social media. Follow Fact Forward on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for likable, sharable graphics like these.
How Can I Get Involved?
- Copy and paste suggested social media posts, or develop your own customized posts to share out the content.
- Add the #LetsTalkSC hashtag to your social media posts and engage with us via your personal or organizational accounts.
- Follow Fact Forward on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share our content; be sure to use the #LetsTalkSC hashtag!
Let's Talk Month is throughout the entire month of October. If you schedule out your social media content in advance, make sure it's only during October!
#LetsTalkMonth #LetsTalkTips #LetsTalk #LetsTalkSC #FactForward
Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram Graphics
Use the graphics below on your social media to spark discussion. Right click and save to your computer, or email email@example.com for higher resolution images.
Social Media Posts
Feel free to use any of these posts to start a conversation! Remember that Instagram doesn't support hyperlinks in captions. You must add the link to your bio and director your followers to "Click the link in our bio!"
- Get tips for talking with your teen about love, sex and relationships. https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents #LetsTalkSC
- Think your child is too young to for you to start “The Talk?” Read our age-appropriate guidelines and get tips for the talk here: https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents #LetsTalkSC
- Talking with your child about dating will help them make better choices in relationships. Find out how: https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/talk-about-dating-and-relationships #LetsTalkSC
- Did you know talking with teens about birth control makes them more likely to delay sex? Learn more: https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/talk-about-protection #LetsTalkSC
- Don’t forget about the boys! Talk to your son about your family values related to sex and relationships. https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/talk-your-son #LetsTalkSC
- Empower your daughter. Talk to her about her personal value and birth control options. https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/talk-your-daughter #LetsTalkSC
- 1 in 5 teens have sent or posted a semi-nude photo. Talk to your teen about sexting/staying safe online. https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/texting-sexting-and-internet #LetsTalkSC
- South Carolina schools can’t teach your teens everything about sex. Talk to your teen today. https://www.factforward.org/resources/parents/sex-ed-sc #LetsTalkSC
Take the Let's Talk Challenge
Challenge yourself and other trusted adults to start talking with the young people in your life about love, sex, and relationships for one month.
Parents should be the #1 resource for their children regarding love, sex and relationships. We understand it's not easy to begin these sensitive conversations, so we've provided a challenge with prompts to help you get started.
Choose any month during the year and challenge yourself and other trusted adults to start having conversations about love, sex, and relationships with the child in your life. Here's how:
- Pair up with a friend or group of friends to hold yourself accountable.
- Use the prompts to talk to your child about anything related to love, sex and relationships. The conversation doesn't have to be long! Simply talking with your child about these tough topics fosters an environment for open communication in the future.
- Meet up with your challenge group at the end of the month to share your experiences and what you've learned.