Making A Difference/Making Proud Choices Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to two research proven curricula—Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! — and will provide the skills necessary to implement each of the curriculum with youth. Both curricula are integrated (teen pregnancy and HIV) prevention programs consisting of eight one-hour modules for middle school youth. Both curricula emphasize abstinence as the safest and best choice for adolescents. Making a Difference! emphasizes that young adolescents should postpone sexual activity and provides intensive educational strategies to help them do so. Making Proud Choices! covers abstinence in detail, but also emphasizes the importance of using condoms to reduce the risk of pregnancy and STD among sexually active participants. Throughout this three-day training, participants will learn how to become facilitators of both curricula.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, components, and unique features of the Making a Difference! (MAD) and Making Proud Choices! (MPC) Curricula.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of MAD and MPC and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in MAD and MPC.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify their own values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Making a Difference! and Making Proud Choices! Curricula and describe strategies for overcoming these barriers
Event Target Audience:
- Youth-serving providers
- Teachers selected to teach either Making a Difference! or Making Proud Choices!
Brittany Wearing, MPH, CHES, & Meredith Talford, MPH, CHES
Brittany joined Fact Forward in August 2016 and currently manages Fact Forward's Office of Population Affairs Tier 2 Project, emPOWERed SC: Creating Linkages for Youth of Color in South Carolina. Brittany has 10 years of experience as a subject matter expert in the area of reproductive health/sexual health, contraceptive technologies, and HIV/STDs. Brittany’s passion for this work was fueled by her undergraduate and graduate studies, where she received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Health and Master of Public Health degree in Health Promotion, Education and Behavior from the University of South Carolina, Arnold School of Public Health. She is a Certified Health Education Specialist and Family Planning Health Worker with a keen interest in adolescent health, maternal/child health, and reproductive justice.
Meredith joined the Fact Forward team in March of 2011 after serving four years as an HIV/AIDS Health Educator at SC DHEC. With a career spanning 18 years, she has provided direct care to youth in foster care, adolescent sex offenders, and individuals living with HIV. A Chester, SC native, Meredith is a graduate of Bennett College for Women, earning a Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Public Health from Mercer University School of Medicine. Meredith has served the agency as a trainer, technical assistance provider and grant manager of two federal grants. Currently, she is the Innovation Manager focusing on the development of new products and services.
Location & Address:
September 6th, 2021
Late registration must be approved by the training department (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
If you are interested in additional information about this training and the possibility of having one in your area please contact our Training Department at email@example.com or 803-771-7700.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 72 hours before the date of the training. No-shows forfeit registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.