Unconscious Bias: Understanding, Recognizing & Overcoming Larger Implications of Unchecked Bias within Youth Serving Organizations
The purpose of this training is to have service providers examine how unconscious bias impacts the lives of youth receiving services. Biases whether implicit or explicit are social constructs that can show up in our daily work and play a major role in decision making and other policies and procedures that could further marginalized youths in South Carolina. This training is interactive and designed to help service providers identify ways to actively work to minimize and eliminate biases that contribute to disparities based on race, ethnicity, gender, and socio-economical status in youth-serving organizations.
- Participants will be able to define implicit and explicit bias and how it impacts their clients.
- Increase awareness of social and cultural biases that determine the type of service provisions provided to marginalized populations in South Carolina.
- Address biases as they present themselves on an individual, organizational and systemic level.
- Test their own implicit biases the Implicit Association Test.
- Explore opportunities to reduce hidden biases within their organization and understanding the larger implications and harms that is associated with not addressing bias.
- Participants will also examine real case study and scenarios to determine ways to mitigate individual and organizational biases and help service providers bring theory to practice.
PREP partners, Community Organizations
Valerie Ekue, Ed.D.
Location & Address:
Boys and Girls Clubs of the Pee Dee Area - 310 W Roughfork St., Florence, SC 29503
Late registration must be approved by the training department (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
If you are interested in additional information about this training and the possibility of having one in your area, please contact our Training Department at email@example.com or 803-771-7700.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 72 hours before the date of the training. No-shows forfeit registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.