SHARP Training of Facilitators
SHARP (Sexual Health and Adolescent Risk Prevention) is an intensive, interactive single-session (divided into five sections) intervention lasting 3-4 hours that incorporates videos, lecture, group discussion and activities. The groups are organized by gender, either all male or all female, with no more than 10 per session (but on average, the ideal number per session is between 3-5 participants per session). Overall SHARP program goals are to deepen STI/HIV knowledge, improve correct condom use, reduce sexual risks and alcohol use and set long-term goals to utilize knowledge and skills learned during the session.
SHARP was designed to be used in temporary adolescent detention facilities. The intervention may also be suitable for use in other detention or in-patient facilities as well as community-based and clinical settings.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, four core components and unique features of SHARP.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of SHARP and how they are applied in program activities.
- Identify and perform the tasks needed to prepare for SHARP.
- Identify the purpose of each of the 5 SHARP sections.
- Identify at least five youth-oriented facilitation skills necessary for successful implementation.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing SHARP and describe strategies for overcoming these barriers.
Youth-serving providers and teachers selected to teach SHARP.
Rena Dixon, Ph.D., MPH, MCHES
Location & Address
Fact Forward: 1331 Elmwood Avenue, Suite 300 Columbia, SC 29201
$400 in-state| $600 out-of-state (discounts for funded partners of Fact Forward may be available. Please contact your grant manager or Capacity Building Specialist for discount codes.)
Deadline: October 30, 2019
Late registration must be approved by the training team (email@example.com or 803-771-7700) and is subject to a $25 registration fee.
NOTE: Registration begins at 8:00 am and the session starts at 8:30 am.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made by 3 full business days will be fully refunded. No shows will forfeit all registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.