Be Proud! Be Responsible! Training of Facilitators
This training will introduce participants to a research proven curriculum – Be Proud! Be Responsible!Strategies to Empower Youth to Reduce Their Risk for HIV/AIDS – and will provide the skills necessary to implement the curriculum with youth. The curriculum consists of six, one-hour modules targeting adolescents of all socio-economic and racial backgrounds, ages 14-18 who attend high schools and youth-serving community based programs. Be Proud! Be Responsible! takes a comprehensive approach to adolescent SEX and HIV/STD education, including both information on abstinence and condoms. Throughout this two-day training, participants will learn how to become effective facilitators of the curriculum while learning tips for answering sensitive questions and how to identify potential barriers to implementing this evidence based program.
As a result of participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the objectives, content, activities, and unique features of the Be Proud! Be Responsible!Curriculum.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum and how they are applied in program activities.
- Understand the teaching methodologies used in the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum.
- Learn basic information relating to HIV, STDs, adolescent pregnancy prevention, and adolescent sexual development.
- Demonstrate teaching condom use, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Identify personal values and the impact of those values on their ability to effectively teach about adolescent sexuality issues.
- Identify guidelines for answering sensitive questions regarding sexuality, HIV, STDs, and adolescent pregnancy prevention.
- Identify potential barriers to implementing the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum and describe strategies for overcoming those barriers.
Event Target Audience
Youth-serving providers and teachers selected to teach Be Proud! Be Responsible!
Meredith Talford MPH, CHES and Shannon Lindsay, MS
Location & Address
Florence County Public Service Building: 2685 South Irby Street, Florence SC 29501
$400.00 (in-state registrants) $600.00 (out-of-state registrants) discounts available for funded partners
Wednesday October 9th, 2019
NOTE: Registration begins at 8:00 am and the session starts at 8:30 am.
Late registration must be approved by the training team (firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-771-7700), and is subject to a $25 late registration fee.
Curriculum: Participants must bring a copy of the Be Proud! Be Responsible! Curriculum (5th edition) as these are not provided. The curriculum can be purchased by visiting https://www.etr.org/store/curricula/be-proud-be-responsible/.
Questions? You can call us at (803)-771-7700 or message us here. Don't forget to check out our FAQs, too.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 72 hours before the date of the training. No-shows forfeit registration costs.
Inclement Weather Policy: Fact Forward follows the City of Columbia for weather closings. We monitor and adjust as necessary. We make all efforts to connect with registrants via email to advise of office closing and delayed starts. In case of cancellation of training due to weather, we will refund registration fees and make all efforts to reschedule in a timely manner.